Monday 29 October 2012

Day 3 - Slow Progress

I read recently that a new blogger should have an initial aim of 10 blog posts - so I still have some way to go to meet even that modest goal.

Today has been a little frustrating in terms of progress towards gamifying my classroom, mainly because I had other jobs that needed doing - maths planning for next week for example. And because maths isn't on my short term gamification plan, I felt a little as though I was short-changing my class by providing them with the same old curriculum process. I did update the class Learning Platform/VLE page, which felt good, and a step in the right direction.

My main game-plan task today has been to gather a set of activities that pupils can do in order to fulfill whatever criteria I set, all linked to the NC Assessment Focuses. If you want to have a look, or even make a suggestion or two, see my linoit canvas at
http://linoit.com/users/collosopede/canvases/Gamifying%20Guided%20Reading

The next task is to really sort out how to marry up 'school' and 'game' reward structures. For example, we have a House Point system, intended to reward good work, and a system of 'raffle tickets', awarded for good behaviour (an resulting in a weekly chance in the raffle ticket draw for a prize), amongst other things. I need to tap into any residual motivational impact these sytems have, and reinforce these if at all possible - I don't want to reduce them to worthless anachronisms. I need to find a place for them in the overall scheme - as well as badges, XP, game levels, NC levels, quests and an ongoing narrative.

Should be quite straightforward...

Collo

No comments:

Post a Comment